Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sandholtz Chapter 5

Chapter 5 mainly discusses how peer tutoring and student centered learning is beneficial to both teachers and students. There was a lot of qualitative evidence of low performing students being very good at certain aspects of technology, or what was being taught, and in turn those students taught other students.  Many teachers were initially upset or worried about the change in their classroom--having kids talking with out permission, or not being the only source of information.  Eventually teachers realized that having students teach improved their self efficacy and motivated them. This helped created a shift in many of these classrooms as collaborative communities, not just teacher led instruction.

This chapter is interesting to me because when I was going through my undergrad all we talked about was collaboration and constructivist theories.  It was drilled into my head that collaboration was better for students, and I completely agreed. I know that many teachers who have been in the profession for a while struggle greatly with collaboration in their classrooms.  Also, many teachers don't like to admit that their students may have more knowledge then they do in certain areas.  For me, that was never an issue.  I was very open to my students being collaborative.  I did have issues when I asked them to do work individually.  I wanted there to be a balance in my classroom, but I think that collaboration does greatly benefit students and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment